Grid List

MARIGOT--The Gendarmerie disclosed Friday that two suspects had been arrested on Thursday, October 20, in connection with the double homicides committed in the Cul- de-Sac area earlier this year.

MARIGOT--Forty-seven persons of mixed nationalities from St. Martin and St. Barths became French citizens at a naturalisation ceremony held in the Préfecture on Thursday;

34 were inducted by decree and thirteen by marriage. The thirteen countries represented included Dominica, Trinidad and Tobago, Thailand, Jamaica, Haiti, Ivory Coast, Dominican Republic, Algeria, Brazil, India, Morocco, Guyana and England.

The conference room of the Préfecture was filled to capacity for the ceremony with family members present as well.

Assisting Préfète Anne Laubies in presenting the decrees to the recipients were Senator Guillaume Arnell, Member of Parliament Daniel Gibbs, Préfecture General-Secretary Thierry Mahler, Vice-President of the St. Barths Territorial Council Karine Miot, Commandant of Police aux Frontières Commandant Jean-Luc Deras, and Capitaine Régis Turlan Arto of the Gendarmerie.

“You have chosen to become French citizens and I can assure it is a good decision, nevertheless a big decision,” Préfète Laubies told the gathering. “It is a serious decision, but it shows your willingness to integrate in the community. This is a ceremony that is important for France as well because France becomes enriched by your presence.

“On behalf of the President of the Republic François Hollande and the government that I represent, France is happy to welcome you and wishes you all the best.”

The Marseillaise national anthem was played before the decrees were presented.

The Committee for Financial Supervision CFT is awaiting the 2015 annual reports of more than 30 Government-owned companies, institutions and organisations receiving public funds (see related story). In fact, only three of the 40 apparently complied with the legal obligation to supply such within five months after the closure of the financial year.

That’s obviously not good enough and clearly against the rules. What’s worse, while the majority are one or two years behind and 10 have at least submitted their 2014 reports, others have been in violation longer and eight of them five or more years.

There had been some discussion in the past on whether these often greatly autonomous entities should fall under the CFT’s competence in the first place, but it’s stipulated in the Kingdom Financial Supervision and actually beside the point. The reports should be submitted in St. Maarten on time regardless.

The laws of the land must always be respected, certainly by Government-related bodies, also to set the right example. If not, why even have a Corporate Governance Code?

As usual, enforcement is the key, which is where the people’s representatives elected to Parliament come in. They must see to it that the Council of Ministers puts pressure on the supervisory boards as well as managements to do what is required; no ifs, no buts.

In what was probably her last press conference in that capacity, Minister of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transport and Telecommunication (TEATT) Ingrid Arrindell gave a breakdown on permits and amendments to existing ones issued over the past months (see Thursday paper). The intention was no doubt to show that people are getting their requests processed despite complaints about red tape, but the presentation raised questions too.

A total of 699 directors’ licences seems a lot, especially because it concerns foreigners, although that number probably includes renewals. Also 232 public transportation permits might raise an eyebrow or two in light of all the buses already on the road, but they were said to have been mostly for help and assistant drivers.

Curious was the mention of 24 new car rental licences in the same breath as a moratorium on such per September 8. In other words, a freeze was imposed, but only after two dozen permits had been given out, which would seem to defeat the purpose at least for the time being.

More positive is the mention of 514 permits for businesses and branches, indicating that, while the economy may have slowed down, private sector investments continue to be made. To that can be added 82 operational licences, 74 restaurant and operational licences, 49 real estate business licences, 44 management and administration licences, 44 consultancy licences plus 40 restaurant and branch licences.

With the cruise season now underway and that of stay-over tourism fast approaching, such apparent confidence in the future is encouraging. It also sends a loud and clear message that – regardless of whatever setbacks – St. Maarten is still seen as an attractive place to do business.

PARAMARIBO--A homophobic dancehall artiste who was arrested during a drug bust last week, has said that he was dabbling in crime to put food on the table for his nine children and the two others that his two girlfriends will soon give birth to.

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados--Caribbean countries should take note that the National Insurance Schemes (NIS) in the region might not be as safe and sound as previously thought.

NEW YORK-- AT&T Inc has reached an agreement in principle to buy Time Warner Inc for about $85 billion, sources said on Friday, paving the way for the biggest deal in the world this year that would give the telecom company control of cable TV channels HBO and CNN, film studio Warner Bros and other coveted media assets.

WASHINGTON-- Former Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders and U.S. Representative Elijah Cummings issued a letter on Thursday seeking information from Ariad Pharmaceuticals Inc on the "staggering" price increases for the company's leukemia drug.

LOS ANGELES-- Actor and singer Donald Glover will be playing Lando Calrissian in the young Han Solo spin-off film from the "Star Wars" universe, Walt Disney Co and Lucasfilm said on Friday.

LONDON- - Crowds of screaming fans braced the cold and packed into London's Leicester Square on Thursday to catch a glimpse of Tom Cruise as he premiered his film "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back", which he described as a "classic action" film filled with suspense.

JOHNSTOWN, Pa./CLEVELAND-- Republican candidate Donald Trump said on Friday that he continues to believe the Nov. 8 election is "rigged" against him, a message that has resonated with members of his party, a new Reuters/Ipsos poll shows.

WASHINGTON/DELAWARE, Ohio-- Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said on Thursday he would accept the result of the Nov. 8 election - "if I win" - fueling Republican concerns his stance would make it harder for his party to maintain control of Congress.
  His refusal to commit to accepting the election outcome was the standout remark of the third and final 2016 presidential debate between Trump and Democratic rival Hillary Clinton on Wednesday night. It ratcheted up Trump's allegations the election was being rigged against him, and became the latest flashpoint in an unusually acrimonious race three weeks before voters go to the polls.
  Clinton called the comment "horrifying."
  President Barack Obama blasted Trump on Thursday at a rally in Miami Gardens, Florida, for Clinton and U.S. Representative Patrick Murphy, who is trying to unseat Republican Senator Marco Rubio, a Trump supporter.
  "That is dangerous. Because when you try to sow the seeds of doubt in people's minds about the legitimacy of the elections, that undermines our democracy. Then you're doing the work of our adversaries for them," Obama said.
  Trump modified his comment at a rally in Ohio on Thursday, but did not back off.
  "I would like to promise and pledge to all of my voters and supporters and to all of the people of the United States, that I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election - if I win."
  He added he would accept "a clear election result, but "reserve my right to contest or file a legal challenge in the case of a questionable result.
  With Trump trailing in opinion polls, the focus ahead of the Nov. 8 vote is shifting to whether Republicans can keep their narrow majority in the Senate or even their larger advantage in the House of Representatives.
  Senator John McCain of Arizona, who lost the 2008 presidential election to Obama, said accepting the election result was "the American way."
  "I didn't like the outcome of the 2008 election. But I had a duty to concede, and I did so without reluctance," McCain, who has opened a poll lead in his Senate re-election race, said in a statement. "A concession isn't just an exercise in graciousness. It is an act of respect for the will of the American people, a respect that is every American leader's first responsibility."
  McCain has withdrawn his support for Trump.
  Asked on Wednesday night if he would commit to a peaceful transition of power, Trump, a businessman-turned-politician, replied: "What I'm saying is that I will tell you at the time. I'll keep you in suspense. OK?"
  Trump's statement, the most provocative in a debate that repeatedly descended into rancor, made headlines across the country and raised questions about his commitment to a peaceful transition of power, a cornerstone of American democracy.
  Clinton accused Trump of being Russian President Vladimir Putin's puppet. Trump called Clinton a "nasty woman" and a criminal who should be barred from running. They did not exchange the customary handshake when the debate ended.
  Democrats jumped to ask Republican candidates whether they agreed with Trump, who is making his first run for public office against Clinton, a former senator and secretary of state.
  "Do you agree with Donald Trump to question the results of the election?" the Nevada Democratic Party asked in a release targeting Republican Joe Heck. Heck is in a tight race with Democrat Catherine Cortez Masto for retiring Democratic leader Harry Reid's Senate seat.
  Republican consultant Matt Mackowiak said down-ballot candidates would distance themselves from Trump's comment, but it was a problem that the issue had drowned out everything else that came up on Wednesday.
  "The real cost is that the post-debate discussion has been consumed by this, and not by his overall very good debate performance and the problems Hillary created for herself on a range of issues," Mackowiak said.
  Trump's comments did not worry his supporters.
  Marion Fields, 48, a registered Democrat who backs Trump, said he did not think concession would be an issue because Trump would win. Were he to lose, "After it's announced, you'd have to be a professional and concede."
  A CNN/ORC snap poll said 52 percent of Americans thought Clinton won the debate, to 39 percent for Trump.
  Trump donor and energy investor Dan Eberhart said Trump won. He disagreed with his rhetoric, but still backs the candidate.
  "I think Hillary's policies and track record are not what the country needs leading us forward for the next four years. And that backs me into supporting Trump," Eberhart said.
  Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway sought on Thursday to defend Trump, saying in television interviews he was "putting people on notice" about voting irregularities.
  Trump has stepped up allegations that the election is being rigged against a backdrop of accusations that he had made improper sexual advances to women since a video emerged two weeks ago in which Trump boasted of such behavior.
  A 10th woman came forward on Thursday at a news conference in Manhattan with attorney Gloria Allred, a Clinton supporter who specializes in representing women in cases of alleged assault.
  Trump campaign spokeswoman Jessica Ditto called the news conference a "coordinated, publicity-seeking attack" by Allred.
  Trump has not offered specific evidence to back up his vote-rigging claims, and numerous studies have shown that the U.S. election system, which is run by the states, is sound.

ESEKA, Cameroon-- Fourteen people remained trapped on Friday under the wreckage of a packed passenger train that derailed en route between Cameroon's two largest cities, killing at least 55 and injuring 575, the government said in a communique read on state television.

BRUSSELS-- European Union leaders condemned Russia on Thursday for its bombing of civilians in Syria's besieged city of Aleppo and Britain, France and Germany backed a push to consider sanctions against Moscow if the atrocities continue.

MARIGOT—The Collectivité indicated Friday it has postponed the official reopening ceremony for Thelbert Carti Stadium in French Quarter until the November 11 ceremonies.

SINGAPORE- - Angelique Kerber is the world number one in women's tennis yet it remains a title she has yet to grow accustomed to after her meteoric rise to the summit.


Dear Editor,

On October 20, 2016, I arrived at the Simpson Bay (Anguilla Dock) to pick up an employee of the Anguilla Immigration Department in order for her to visit her friend at the St. Maarten Medical Center, between 3:30pm to 4:30pm and thereafter to take her back to the pier on the French side in order for her to take the ferry back to Anguilla.

At the Anguilla dock in Simpson Bay she presented herself to the Immigration Officer with an Anguilla travel document along with her expired British passport. The Immigration Officer on duty at the Anguilla dock did not allow her to enter the country but she was, however, very polite and friendly as she really tried to assist by making several calls to her superior in connection hereof.

At that point, knowing several officers at the Anguilla Immigration I intervened and spoke with our lady Immigration Officer explaining that this person is truly employed with the Immigration Department of Anguilla who only wants to go see her friend in the hospital, and if it would help by standing as guarantor that she will return after the hospital visit that very same afternoon. The officer acknowledged that she knew me and understood and did not have a problem with it, but her superior who she called denied the entry and therefore could not do anything further but follow the command.

At this point I called several other top persons about the problem and they also tried to help, but it not being their department led to no success thus the Anguillian was then put back on the ferry to Anguilla.

Now, this wasn’t somebody that was from some unknown country that may have posed a threat or wanted to stay illegally, this was a born Anguillian (neighbour country) and an employer of the Anguilla Immigration Department as well. I felt really embarrassed about this whole situation and decided that I will have to publish this in the newspapers in order for something better to change in the future. We worry about what’s going on in the world with big nations fighting and here are we little islands having these unnecessary problems amongst ourselves.

Celeste Beauperthuy

Dear Queenie,

I work full-time and my wife is a stay-at-home mom to our toddler son. She does a great job of taking care of the baby, cooking, laundry, paying the bills and fixes me a great lunch to take to work, but our house is always a mess.

It vexes me every time I have to pick up something she has left lying around. I have spoken to her many times about this but nothing gets any better.

Queenie, what more can I do?—Tidy husband

Dear Husband,

I have news for you: Your wife also has a (more than) full-time job taking care of the baby, cooking, laundry, paying the bills and fixing you a lunch to take to work.

What more can you do? Give her a day off once a week while you take over caring for your son, cooking and maybe doing some laundry and see how much time and energy you have left over for tidying up the place.

Then perhaps you should look into hiring some (at least part-time) help for her. And if you cannot afford to do so, you can either pitch in and do some tidying up yourself or let up on your expectations and stop being so critical.

Health-31 Kids-23








OUT-49 cover-Oct21








Bus-48 TeenTimes-18